Summer is the perfect time to cleanse your body – to eat cleaner, more fresh food, rid your environment of toxins, get active and restart your system! Many of us get tempted by the crazy liquid diets/fasts at the start of the year. Unfortunately, the results from these fads/extremes are very short lived.
I have found cleansing with food to be as effective and the results are sustainable.
I do believe in giving your liver a break in order to regain some energy and motivation to live the healthy life. The liver is an organ you really want to take care of when it comes to feeling good.
This is my easy five-day cleanse that I like to seasonally – the results can be amazing. I’m talking glowing skin, a cleansed liver, restored energy, deeper sleep and weight balance – because it gets you back on track. It just really gives you time to feel good about yourself again. Many of us drink too much alcohol and caffeine which often makes us feel pretty tired and bloated.
This simple cleanse can just restore your energy and vitality. It’s a total body renew – perfect for giving your body some extra TLC and increasing vitality in the Summer months!
It’s more of a beautiful way to give your body extra love and care – rather than a hard-core juice cleanse. Think: kindness!
Treat this as five days of self-loving. Get ready for a brighter, more brilliant you!
So, I have a challenge for you… introducing the No-Challenge Challenge. This week, I encourage you to swap your regular white bread for the new Lo-Fo loaf from @bakersdelight once a day for 21 days. So many of us are suffering from digestive stress and it becomes even harder when you feel deprived of your favourite foods, like a fresh loaf of warm bread. I get you. @bakersdelight have just created a low FODMAP bread to support people who struggle with poor digestion and intolerances to various foods such as FODMAP. For your chance to win a weekend of relaxation worth $5K upload a photo of your Lo-Fo sandwhich to Instagram using #nochallengechallenge or visit their Facebook page for more details #bakersdelight #nochallengechallenge #TheLoFoLoaf
Step 1: Cut out the Nasties
You will need to cut out the following for the next 3 DAYS:
- Cow’s dairy and soy
- Refined sugar and sweeteners
- Wheat and gluten
- Red meat (for now!)
- Bad fats: trans fats found in vegetable oils as well as processed and deep-fried foods
Instead, opt for seasonal veggies (lots of leafy greens), fresh fruit (berries and green apples are best), gluten-free grains (like quinoa, brown rice, buckwheat), nuts & seeds, high quality fish, organic eggs and chicken (except for red meat) and coconut oil or extra-virgin olive oil in your cooking.
Step 2: Lifestyle tips and tricks
- Sweat! Get your blood and lymphatic system flowing to accelerate the release of toxins. Try and exercise for at least 30 minutes each day.
- Aim to drink 2-3 litres of filtered water a day to help your kidneys flush out toxins. Herbal teas are also great for increasing fluid intake and cleansing.
- Use herbs and spices to add flavour without extra oils or fats – my detox faves are turmeric, cinnamon, nutmeg and cayenne pepper.
- Commit to 8 hours of sleep – it allows our bodies to heal and regenerate new cells – so important when you’re cleansing!
- Care for your emotional self: When we cleanse, our bodies flush out toxins and sometimes this can cause certain emotions to rise – we feel more sensitive, maybe a little more vulnerable so make sure you set aside time for YOU.
- See a naturopath to make up some cleansing herb tonics for you – they work really well.
Double tap if you lurvvv crispy roasted Brussels sprouts ? Anyone who knows me knows how much I love Brussels sprouts ? These maple roasted Brussels are some of my best! Served with goats cheese, toasted almonds, pomegranate and mint ❤️ The perfect, healthy dish for the silly season!! Recipe on www.jessicasepel.com
Step 3: Detox your environment!
Once you’ve started cleansing internally, it’s time to look at the outside factors contributing to the toxin build-up and remove those too!
- Be mindful of what you are breathing in. Make a point of looking at the contents of your cleaning products – switch to natural detergents.
- Use aluminium-free deodorant.
- Buy organic whenever possible. Wash or peel fruit and veggies to remove pesticides otherwise.
- Invest in a good quality water filter and use a stainless steel bottle instead of plastic.
- Minimise exposure to plastics: use paper bags to store food, mason jars instead of plastic containers and don’t heat foods in plastic!
- Choose cosmetics wisely – try switching to natural skin and hair products or even make your own! Don’t use fake tan and use natural sanitary products.
- Switch to all natural household cleansing products – I use Mrs Meyers found on iherb.com
After the cleanse, you should be feeling lighter and more energetic. Let’s keep those good vibes going by giving your body even more love.
Do any or all of these things:
- Take an Epsom salt bath three times a week.
- Jump into the ocean whenever you can.
- Deep belly breathe every day.
- Get into a sauna or steam room whenever you can.
- Treat yourself to a lymphatic or Thai massage.
- Challenge yourself to avoiding alcohol for up to a month. Hello, clean liver and gut!
- Detox your environment – tips above!
- Schedule in the 3-Day Reboot for next month. Diarise it so you know it’s coming (and dare I say it, look forward to it!). J
Now you’re equipped with the information you need to start cleansing – are you ready for a happier, healthier you? You can find a bunch of my favourite detox-friendly recipes in my 8-week program in my books or the blog www.jessicasepel.com.
Apologies for the long caption ? but had to express my gratitude. Flying home to my birth country, South Africa for my besties wedding ✨ with a JS salad in hand hehe ? What a year. 2017. I'll never forget you. I will remember you for the many sleepless nights, long hours and crazy 2am anxious wake ups with edits for the JS program ? but mostly for revealing JSHealth's power and potential… I started an amateur blog 5 years ago. The only dream I ever had was to be a damn good nutritionist in private practice where I could help my patients to live a healthy life and eat well to feel good. I never in my wildest dreams imagined it could be what it is today. I have no doubt in my mind that it's all because of your unwavering support. Honestly. It's all thanks to you. To the JS community – you made my year! I am so so grateful to have you in my life. Thank you for believing in JSHealth and having my back. I feel like every single one of you are my dear friends who I can related to and connect with. You just get me! And I get you ? Its been incredible getting to know some of you over private message. To the most special community – I can't wait to share 2018 with you – it's gonna be magic! I'm here for you always. Sending all my love x J
Sample Cleanse Day Menu
The JSHealth Power Protein Smoothie, using berries instead of banana to sweeten.
A fresh green juice without fruit or carrot sticks with hummus
A cleansing detox salad with grilled chicken, salmon or lentils like this one!
Brown rice cakes with either almond butter and cinnamon or smashed avocado and a sprinkle of rock salt
Grilled fish, chicken or tempeh with sautéed greens and a fresh green salad drizzled with lemon juice and olive oil. Or you can try one of my amazing easy One Pan dinners!
A herbal tea of choice
Source: Read Full Article