Plaque on the tongue can have various causes. Not all of them are harmless. FOCUS Online explains where the differences lie, what are the warning signs you should be aware of and how you a traditional tongue coating removal.
A healthy tongue has a pink red color and is covered with small nodules called papillae. But even healthy people do in the morning, brushing your teeth, sometimes an unappetizing discovery: On the tongue have formed deposits.
Such a tongue coating initially sounds like an unpleasant thing: the smell of the mouth, diseases and fungal infections are the visible and palpable discoloration of the tongue mucosa. Because of a few deposits on the tongue, however, no one needs to panic. Because No tongue is without coating.
Off-white, grey or yellowish changes on the surface of the tongue have different causes. Some point to a lack of Hygiene and by such eliminate. Other signal disease or other changes in the body.
Abstreifbar or not abstreifbar?
Physicians differentiate between abstreifbarem and not abstreifbarem tongue coating. Take the Test: by Using a mouth or tongue spatula, carefully try to scrape the coating of the tongue mucosa. The works are, as a rule, desquamated epithelial cells, food debris, microorganisms, leukocytes and other “natural” residues.
The tongue coating is not mechanically with a spatula to remove, there may be a pathological mucosal change. In such a case, make sure your doctor and let the cause to clarify.
The everyday tongue coating
Some people have a pronounced tendency to the formation of deposits. The bacteria may lie dense on the tongue to 25 times higher than for people with low to average settlement. Vulnerable, especially the rear, and rough part of the tongue back. Here 60 to 80 percent of the sulfur producing bacteria in the oral cavity settle. The consequence of halitosis.
The severity of the flooring depends, in part, of the diet. Who takes mostly low fiber foods, less abrasion to the tongue. As a result, more plaque is formed. Hazardous to health this is not.
Pay attention during daily dental care, in addition to cleaning the tongue. You want to remove the tongue coating, is a so-called tongue scraper or tongue cleaner. Corresponding products are at the dentist or at the drugstore. Best offer on BestCheck.de
To whom is the gag reflex to create the tongue scraping, the focus on alternative cleaning methods:
- Several times one after the other and several times a day: A teaspoon of salt in a glass of warm water and mix well. The mouth thoroughly, rinse, gargle and spit out
- Half a teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water and dissolve two Times a day as a mouth rinse to use
- A tablespoon of Aloe Vera juice in the mouth, three minutes, rinse and spit it out
- In the morning before teeth pressed coconut oil to brush a tablespoon of cold in the mouth, let it melt. The melted Oil for about 15 minutes through the entire mouth, between the teeth and under the tongue back and forth. Finally, spit out the mouth with warm water rinse
- Daily probiotic foods such as Kimchi, Sauerkraut, Kefir and water kefir consume
White Tongue Coating
A white tongue coating is a common Symptom and often leads to mouth odor, or a bitter taste. The causes are many and varied. Excessive alcohol use, fever, Smoking, improper oral hygiene, as well as acidic and sugar containing foods also lead to a white coating such as food debris, bacteria and dead cells.
A pale-white tongue coating can also be due to iron deficiency.
Yellow Tongue Coating
A disease of the liver or gall bladder is the most common cause of this is that yellowish deposits form on the tongue. Also, a Gastritis, or a fungal infection can be the discoloration responsible. In any case, your doctor.
In smokers, a slightly yellowish discoloration is normal: it occurs due to the accumulating nicotine residue.
Red Tongue Flooring
Here, too, is a doctor recommended visit. Red tongue coating indicates in the rule on infectious diseases such as scarlet fever or Kawasaki syndrome. Vascular inflammation, Glossitis, vitamin deficiencies and autoimmune diseases other triggers.
Less dramatic colouring of drinks and food as possible causes are red.
Reasons for further discoloration
- brown tongue coating: thick smoke, weakened kidney performance or excessive use of mouthwash
- grey tongue coating: iron deficiency, or diseases of the spleen, as well as chronic causes
- black tongue coating: colouring food, drugs, excessive use of mouthwash or change of tongue papillae
In principle, the following applies: In the case of permanent coverings, and other symptoms, you must contact your doctor.